The 42nd Constitutional Amendment Act, 1976 introduced a set of 10 Fundamental Duties in Part IV, to be observed by all the citizens of India. Please note carefully that there is no constitutional provision for direct enforcement of these duties. The duties are:
1. To abide by the Constitution, respect its ideals, respect the National Flag and the National Anthem.
2. To cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle for freedom.
3. To protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India.
4. To defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so
5. To promote common brotherhood among the Indian people.
6. To preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture
7. To protect and improve the natural environment
8. To develop scientific temper and the spirit of enquiry
9. To safeguard public property
10. To strive towards excellence in all individual and collective activities